In July the King’s Lynn church recorders presented the record of All Saints, Narborough to a packed benefice service.
All Saints church stands in the centre of a large Norfolk village and dates from the 14th c. It was restored in the 15c and again in the 19c. In the early 20c the Vicar, the Reverend Henry Rogers wrote a two volume history of the church which was a great help to the recorders.
A large number of the monuments are to the powerful legal family of Spelman. The earliest is a brass remembering Henry and his wife Ela who died in 1496, and was a Barrister and Recorder of Norwich. The last is the Rev Henry Spelman who died in 1812 and was rector for 15 years.
There is a large wall monument to Clement Spleman who died in 1607 with two life size figures of him and his wife, and also shows their son the infant Clement in swaddling clothes.
Opposite stand the tall monument to the adult Clement. He was Recorder of Nottingham and died in 1679. The original plinth was 8 foot high and stood in the chancel until it was moved to the west corner of the north aisle. The story went that he wanted to be buried upright in order not to be trodden on. His upright coffin was found when the monument was moved back to the chancel and the place of burial is marked with a marker tile in the north aisle.
In the porch is a beautiful hand painted Roll of Honour from the First World War. The details are exquisite. It was painted by C.R Wylie of Narborough who emigrated to Australia and became Heraldic artist on the Admiralty staff. He won a competition to design the coat of arms for the Federal Capital Territory of Australia and also published correspondence he had with Kipling.
One of the most common items we find in our churches is a Glastonbury chair. The original was a copy of a chair in the Bishop’s palace, Wells made before 1779 and often made with different carvings on the back and arms. The chair in this church is exceptional as it is a true copy of the original with the original inscriptions. It was given to the church by Rev. Rogers in 1906.
King’s Lynn church recorders are finishing the record of St Faith’s church in Gaywood and looking forward to starting their twentieth church in the Autumn.